Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Anniversary

Thanks to Stacey, the super blogging expert, I think I may have finally solved the comment posting problems that have been plaguing the loyal readers of Paper Badge. So if you have a heart, please please please comment when you read this so I can see that it works. I will reward you by telling a hilarious, moral-driven story that happened to me last night.



This July marks the one-year (12 mo.) anniversary of my horrific, gruesome foot injury of 2008. (You think I made it clear in that sentence when that happened? Haha. I'm not even going to change it. It's 8:15 in the morning. Let's move on.) For those of you who don't know I had the misfortune of a cargo trailer landing on my foot. It was exactly as bad as it sounds. The result was a massive crater the size of a tennis ball in my right foot, which led to about one hundred stitches, crutches, numerous pain pills, and excruciating physical therapy. Bottom line: Worst summer of my life. (Looking back, I learned a lot from this experience but it still really, really sucked.)



Fast forward to last night. I was sitting around my apartment with nothing to do, and three hours to kill before the Charm School Finale. I decided I would take a walk. This is not an abnormal thing for me to do now. I love being able to put in my iPod and just start walking somewhere without an plan to where I will end up. (Logan, UT has got to be the most perfect place in the world to do this. Great scenery. Low crime rate.) Last night, I decided to make a plan. I would walk to the scene of my accident. It would be a nice opportunity to reflect on everything that has happened in the past year. Mostly, I wanted to see if the giant hole the trailer made in the parking lot was still there. It took a little over an hour for me to walk (in a round-about way) to the warehouse where it all happened. I approached the building from the backside and made my way around the corner. When I finally faced the location I had waited so long to see I was met with the most unexpected of scenes. I circle of four police cars surrounding a few officers training their police dogs. Ferocious, drug-sniffing, blood-thirsty dogs. Dogs that looked like this:

So, that might be a slight exaggeration. But I only say slight because they were not attacking a human shoulder. They were still barking, showing their teeth, and tearing into some round padded thing. I didn't want to be that round padded thing so I turned around and walked someplace else.

"Well," I said to myself "I am definitely not going there today."

I told you there would be a moral and here it is. Sometimes we are faced with obstacles we don't think we can overcome. For example, recovering from a bizarre foot accident, or posting on my blog. But, with faith, perseverance, and hard work, we can move past these obstacles. Other times, police dogs are fighting exactly where you wanted to be and it is probably better for you to forget about your goal and do something else that day.

6 comments:

Cathy Bubert said...

Cody, you are a great and entertaining story teller.
I love your blog! Aunt Cathy

Chess said...

I remember when you showed me those pictures of your foot. I'm not one for getting woozy.... but those made me woozy. And you are an awesome storyteller! One day, you should write a big long story/book and send it to me so I can read it!

Stacey said...

Cody, I appreciate this moral so much, as I am very big on avoiding this that I don't like. Thank you. That was quite a walk!

Unknown said...

Oh honey! You just made a great day even better!! Once again, I'm so grateful that we got to catch up at the Ranch...you made all the difference for your awkward oldest cousin ;)

Add my name to the list of Paper Badge Loyalists!

xo Shell

BjaminWood said...

Wow, there's such a hidden depth in this post. You know, it's almost like the meaning lies deeper, hidden even.

Sorensen said...

I must say Cody that I really like this blog. It reminded me of my days of playing with my german shepard in my backyard and having him attack my feet, hands, and legs...yes in that order!