Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Something Something Serious

It is a very rare occasion when I decide to blog about something serious here at Paper Badge. I much prefer to discuss the exciting, fun, and happy as opposed to the educational, financial, intellectual, or romantic parts of my life. Mostly I choose not to talk about those things because as far as my life goes they don't really exist. I lead an overall boring lifestyle peppered with the occasional frisbee game, Texas Roadhouse visit, or rock concert. There isn't a whole lot else going on. I'm not entirely thrilled or depressed about that, it's just how it is.

As evidence of that statement, my roommate Stice and I were sitting in his room last night watching WWE wrestling. (I'm not kidding you that is seriously what we were doing and have been doing every Monday for the past month. I can't say that I like it, but I am definitely entertained by the whole thing.) I decided to make better use of my time by figuring out my class schedule for next semester. After a few minutes of research I realized that if I took five classes next semester, I could graduate in April! Total shocker! Great news, right? I don't know! I was obviously excited at the prospect of not having to attend school any more but that thought was quickly chased away by several other bigger, more frightening thoughts. How am I going to pull this off? Am I ready to have a real job with real responsibilities? Do I need to move? How do I even graduate anyway? Who is my advisor? What is box happening?

For some of you to understand where I am coming from with all this stress, I have to make a confession. I sometimes do not take my school career seriously. I hit up class about 70-80% of the time, listen and try to learn as much as I can, and then I go home and forget just about everything including the occasional homework assignment. I don't mean to be a slouch, it just happens. I would rather work on my napping, Madden, and burrito microwaving skills than figure out how to citate, punctuate, and run InDesign. I have done zilcho nada to build up a technical writing resume (Krista and Kelsha, you can start laughing and pointing now, you earned the right). As I am typing this right now, I have a test in three hours with only about fifteen minutes worth of studying in my pocket. Now that all of that time was been wasted I am closing in very fast to game time and I am freaking out about it. I'm not sure what I am going to do.

Wish me luck.

I sure don't deserve it.

5 comments:

krista said...

You're going to graduate with me! YAY!

Cathy Bubert said...

Cody, the finish line is in sight! Good job!

Chess said...

Hahahaha! You? Don't take school seriously? I just can't believe that.... I'm pretty familiar with all your frightening thoughts. I sure don't know who my advisor is. But I need to find out so I can change my major and graduate next fall, so that I can also NOT have a job. Good luck! Of course you deserve it. :)

Hermit said...

K, Cody. Here's my 2 cents. I hope you really did sign up for all the classes to graduate in April. Let me just tell you. School is a good way to tell yourself "Hey, Im in school, I dont have to think about life." Its a comfort zone. When you graduate, it sucks because you have to actually think about life and what you want and all that crap. BUT, you also get to make a LOT more money and you NEVER HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL! Its totally worth it. You should graduate dude.

Kelsha said...

Its gonna be ok Cody. Krista has been thinking of your resume for you. :)