Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Latest Chapter in the Never-Ending Saga of the World's Most Rediculous Computer and a Light at the End of the Tunnel

My computer's most recent failure had left me with two choices. I could either spend $300 to send the thing to MacLand for repairs (CD-ROM, hard drive, the works)or spend slightly more (in terms of hundreds) and invest in a brand-new (not Mac) computer. It was a tough choice. I can hardly stand the sight of my laptop and I have dreams of going all Office Space on that thing. My mental list of pros and cons produced only cons. I eventually decided to take my laptop in to the Apple Store so it could be fixed.

If you have ever been to Gateway Mall to see a Genius at the Apple Store, you might know there is a very strange protocol to making sure you are helped in a timely fashion. After making an appointment in advance, you are supposed to check-in with a "concierge" and then stand in a "waiting area" until your name is called. The problem with this system is that the "concierge" is by no means a distinguishable individual and every Apple employee is always talking to at least twelve customers. The second problem is that the "waiting area" is by no means different from any other part of the store. Hello, Apple, you are a gigantic company, have you ever heard of signs? Not the movie, just a plain old sign that says "WAITING AREA". Not hard. So, if you can't tell I was in the wrong "waiting area" and didn't speak to the "concierge". This led to my appointment being cancelled. Hey, thanks Apple, it's not like I didn't just drive from Logan or anything. Luckily, we moved past that little setback and after a half-hour wait I was able to get my computer sent off to be fixed. ETA of fixed computer: One week.

After all this fun and excitement I need some real comfort food and Gateway's food court would not do the trick. After a few minutes of pondering and deliberation I knew that only thing would do: Maple Express in Ogden. If you are not familiar with Maple Express, you should be. It was introduced to it a few years ago by my buddy Marcus, an Ogden transplant. They have the best Szechuan chicken you will ever eat in your life. I repeat, they have the best Szechuan chicken you will ever eat in your life. Maple is so delicious that Marcus even penned a little ditty about it set to the tune of "Soul with a Capital S" by Tower of Power. It goes like this:

"I got food, from the Maple Express!
Fo-oo-ood from the Maple Express!
Sweet szechuan! That's the best!
Fo-oo-ood from the Maple Express!"

When one sings this song, one cannot help but be happy. And when one eats Maple Express, one cannot help but be transported to a world to fantastic euphoria. Thanks, Maple. You made my day.

3 comments:

Sorensen said...

I was born and raised in the Ogden area and have never had the opportunity of partaking in the deliciousness that is Maple Express. I am a lost cause!

Chess said...

It sounds yummy!

BjaminWood said...

Dude, maple express single-handedly helped me through 3 years of high school successes, failures, lost loves, and deaths.